GTA Board of DirectorsAbout the Governing Board
Meet our Board of Directors
Ms. Lamb has been a board member since 2010 and is a seasoned marketing, advertising and public relations professional with over 20 years of experience in marketing. She posseses a degree in Public Relations and Communications.
Mr. Shorter has years of experience working in the field supporting individuals with developmental disabilities with his current position as Executive Director of Golden Gate Regional Center. He holds a degree in Psychology and a masters in Business Administration.
Mrs. Wesley joined the board in June 2017, but her experience with MIT Academy dates back to 2004 with her twin daughters. She holds two Associate degrees and works for the Napa County Health & Human Services Agency.
Ms. Wynn Walker joined the board in 2014 and serves as the president of the AAPA at MIT Academy. She received her Bachelor’s in Computer Science with emphasis in computer programming from Sonoma State University and currently works as a Senior Lab Technician at Ausenco LLC and as an Adjunct instructor teaching CIS at Solano Community College.
Ms. Vaughan is a founding Board member of MIT Academy. She has 50 years of experience in education in addition to a Masters degree in English and a PhD in American Studies.
Shawna Gilroy was born and raised in Northern California. After moving to Vallejo in
2014, she wasted no time in becoming immersed in the community.
MITA - Student Rep - TBA
Student Representative - MIT Academy
GA - Student Rep - TBA
Student Ambassador - Griffin Academy
What to know about GTA’s Board
When and where does the board meet?
The board meets at 6:00pm on the second Tuesday of the month virtually or in room E3 at MIT Academy. Closed sessions (limited to board members) meet immediately after the regular meeting.
Why be on the board?
The GTA Board helps decide the direction of Mare Island Technology Academy MS, MIT Academy HS, and Griffin Academy. As a board member you have the chance to effect change and help GTA move forward.
What does the board do?
- The board sets and enforces policy for Griffin Technology Academies
- The board oversees all budgetary information, and makes financial decisions
- The board hires and evaluates the superintendent
- The board approves job descriptions, salary schedules, contracts, calendars and other items as required by law.
- Board members sit on TOE hearings (Termination of Enrollment) to decide consequences for students who have demonstrated inappropriate behavior, or have engaged in egregious rules violations
Does time spent being on the board and its related activities count as volunteer time?
Yes, the more time spent on the board means more involvement in activities.
What kind of time commitment is involved in being on the board?
- Attend regular monthly board meetings, including closed session
- Provide points of view and information from personal experience
- Attend special board meetings (numbers vary)
Interested in Becoming a Board Member?
Steps to apply for Board membership
- Attend a minimum of 3 board meetings
- Fill out a complete application
- Interview with board members
- Be voted on by a board majority
Previous Student Representatives:
|2019-20||Britany Navarro (MITA)|
|2018-19||Myco Torres (MITA)|
|2018-19||Luis Segura (MITA)|
|2017-18||Dominique Monta (MITA)|
|2016-17||Teresita Gaitan (MITA)|
|2015-16||Adriana Wynn (MITA)|
|2014-15||Reniel Del Rosario (MITA)|
|2013-14||Gerica Butler (MITA)|
|2012-13||Luis Rosales (MITA)|
|2011-12||Darnesha Hopkins (MITA)|
|2010-11||Chris Arriola (MITA)|